Sunday, April 25, 2010

We have Haw! Oh boy do we ever have Haw!

Picture this: Ohla comes out to the yard for her training turn. She is dancing around trying to get at the treat bag which I put on the fence. I get out my handful of treats. The wobble board is leaning up against the fence. I reach for it, and so does Ohla. Oh yes, she not only reached for it, she jumped up and pulled it out of my hands and down to the ground with her paws and leapt on it! I can confidently say we have the full Yee Haw! Good grief, it was more like, Yo B*#ch, give me my board!!
She also did one jump up to 22" today. Still having trouble transferring from hand to hand she is so obsessive over the food. Interestingly, the side she is less keen to do is the one that makes her turn left into me to get the food. The cookies are the same in the left hand, she just wants the right that much more.
I dropped the jump back down to 16" and had her go over and come to me for the toy as well. I am very pleased that she is just as interested in playing tug with me as she is to get the cookies, and is making nice tight turns to come back and get the toy.

Next on the Haw list is the teeter. This is unbelievable, never have I had a dog do this in all the dogs I've trained from the beginning. A shout out to her mom: has she ever done plank work? All I did was walk over to the teeter thinking I'd let her play the bang game with it. When I walked over she jumped up on it and started heading to the end! Luckily I was able to put my foot on it and keep it from tipping. WOW is all I can say. So I changed my training plan in the moment and put a jump standard underneath the tipping end of the teeter to hold it up and let her run the plank to the end, where she received a pile of cookies and then I let her jump off. We did that three times, she happily ran the plank all three times. The third go she really let her rip and ran right to the end with her front toes hanging off the end, exactly what I want to see. I can't believe it, I've never had a dog so raring to go over the teeter like that. Now I really have to work her sit stay so she can sit at the end while I get ready to hold the teeter so she can do some teeter surfing. I seriously have to get on teaching her to back up so she learns her rear end awareness now, yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment