Friday, May 7, 2010

Musings from this week

I spent last weekend at a dog trial in Armstrong BC. Lovely venue, great people as always, nice trial, yucky weather! Here I thought I was going to the sunny Okanogan, NOT! One day I will be able to buy a nice camp trailer with a bathroom and a furnace, but not today. Sigh, the back of the truck it is for this group!
OhLa came with us so I could continue her training while away in new environments and so I could be sure to keep an eye on her. I learned a few more important things about her over the weekend that were interesting. One, she is an excellent traveller. She does her business with no fuss, which is really nice. Two, she has terrible leash manners! I had her on a flexi for potty breaks and I'm quite sure my right arm is a little longer than my left now! Too bad for her though that she is stuck with me, I have ways..... She walks beautifully on a sense-ation harness. Ha! She is also obsessed with eating grass right now, not sure what that is all about but perhaps she was a cow in her former life. She is getting her greens via kelp in her meals so maybe she is just enjoying the lovely spring offerings for the novelty of it.
We worked on hand targets, sits, downs, and stays while we were away. All near the outdoor ring and inside the barn. She did great, not so sure about lying down in the dirt at first but once she got used to it she was offering downs like a pro in the dirt. :)
We also successfully shaped a back up this week. It's great, she can back up quite a long ways! We also started working on circle work which she is pretty good at, and I've introduced the travel plank and the target plate.
We start contacts and weaves class next week, so we need to be prepared! My goal for this weekend is to introduce her to the 2x2 weaves and the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment