Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Walking on walls

Last night in class we worked on a few things, and I took away some homework. We had to show off a newly shaped behaviour, so I showed off OhLa's "head down."

Then we worked on figure eights around posts, working on the dog staying beside you on either side and not cutting behind you. She did pretty well in the not cutting behind me part, but on left turns she wants to run out ahead of me. She cut me off every time! So that will be a work in progress for this week.

Next we worked on a sit stay, walking out about twenty feet, dropping the toy, and then releasing the dog to the toy. OhLa's sit stay is improving, but I find that I don't trust her much. I don't feel like she has understanding in that department, and since that is something that will carry on through everything in her career it is definitely worth me putting some time and effort into working on it.

Finally we started wall walking. Sound strange? Yep! It is a rear end awareness exercise, you teach the dog to put their back feet up on something, then up the wall into a hand stand. It sounds strange, and it is, but it's a great muscle builder and a stunning parlor trick to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment